Thank you so much to Sara Ackerman for nominating me for this awesome award 🙂 You can check out her blog here: Sara Ackerman: Where romance and history meet!
The rules of this award:
1. Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award.
2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you.
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 blogs.
5. Notify those blogs of the nomination.
6. Give them 11 questions to answer.
These were the 11 questions that Sara gave me 🙂
- Out of all the countries you have visited, which one did you like the most?
It would have to be Mexico and the Caribbean Islands. My husband and I have been on a few Disney cruises and the ports are amazing! The weather is gorgeous, the beaches and ocean is beautiful, and the scenery is amazing!
2. What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
I love to jump Artex, the horse that I ride, bareback and bridleless. It takes an insane amount of trust between horse and rider, and your communication has to be perfect. Each slight movement of your body communicates where you want your horse to go, or what speed you want to be moving, and your balance has to be spot on. Here’s some pictures of us 🙂 The first is of us on a cross country course, the second is of us jumping bridleless. He’s seriously the best horse I’ve ever worked with!
3. If you could take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
My husband 🙂 We love to go on adventures!
4. If you could give someone $1 million dollars who would you give it to?
There would be a few different groups I would give it to. I’d donate a lot of it to Friends of Madison Mounted Horse Patrol to help support the police horses in Madison WI. I’m also a board member for the group and it’s is very close to my heart. I’d also donate money to homeless shelters and animal rescue organizations in my area.
5. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
There’s a lot. I’m grateful I have such a wonderful husband that supports me in all the crazy things I do. My family, all the horses that have come through my life and have gotten me to the point I’m at now in my career. All of my fur children (my cats, and yes I am a crazy cat lady 😉
6.Given the choice of anyone living or dead, who would you choose to have dinner with and why?
Walt Disney! The man was a complete genius and I would love to pick his brain and see what he’d think about the Disney company of today.
7.Give some advice to other bloggers or other blog starters.
When you start out, don’t focus on how many likes or followers you have. Write for YOU! As you dive into this amazing community you will start to gain more followers. Also if you are going to start a review blog, be honest in your reviews. Don’t just give a summary of what the book was about. What did the book make you FEEL? Why did it make you feel that way? Did you connect to the characters? If you didn’t like a book, it’s okay to say you didn’t like it, BUT don’t bash a book or author. Be honest but give constructive feedback of WHY you didn’t like it.
Also If you’re new and want to start meeting new authors and getting a chance to read ARCs and get some exposure, find a PR company to sign up with. There are TONS out there that have blogger sign ups to review and help promote books 🙂 I didn’t find that out until about 4 months after I started my blog. From there you can join some of your favorite authors groups on social media and interact with more authors.
8.What is the most scandalous thing you have ever done?
I’m kind of a goody two shoes. The worst thing I’ve ever done was probably getting drunk at a party in high school.
9.What is your greatest accomplishment?
It would either be graduating from college and being able to attain and keep a job within my degree field (a lot of people I graduated with weren’t able to) and marrying my husband 🙂
10. If you could do any career in the world, what would you do?
The same career I have now, but having my own farm and running it. I want to have a horse farm where I teach kids how to ride and do summer camps and 4-H club. I love the joy and happiness of seeing someone ride for the first time or fall in love with that special horse for the first time!
11. If you could live one day over again, what would it be and why?
It would probably have to be any day before my grandma or pop-pop passed away. I would love to see them and talk to them again one last time. My grandma was the one that triggered my love of reading.
11 random facts about myself
- I am a Harry Potter Addict! I have gone to conventions and I seriously cried the first time I visited Hogwarts at Universal.
- Along with the HP addiction, I LOVE Wizard rock! (or Wrock as we call it) There were over 700 bands at one time that played music inspired by HP, and I would go to concerts that they would play at.
- I’m a crafter/artist. I’ve done anything from rock sculpture to stained glass, to painting and jewelry making. I’m a jack of all trades 😉
- I am a Disney addict. My husband and I try to go to Disney at least once a year.
- I cry EVERY DAMN TIME I watch the first 10 min of Up! EVERY TIME!!!
- Out of over 300 books I’ve read in the last few years only 6-7 have made me cry. If I cry when I read a book, you know it’s a damn good book.
- I have 6 cats at home and I take care of 5 barn cats at my job. I AM a crazy cat lady and proudly wear that badge with honor 😉
- I’ve probably ridden over 250 different horses throughout my career.
- I grew up in Jersey and I miss east coast living even though the Madison WI area is great.
- I’ve been working with The Quirky Blind Date With A Book since Sept of last year, and I love helping readers and authors connect through that!
- I actually hate to write. I started the blog to help me start getting in the habit of writing reviews and it just kept going from there. I still don’t love to write, but it’s been slowly getting better 😉 Now I love to do reviews because I love helping authors and reviews are a great way of doing that! (But I totally get stuck sometimes and it takes me forever to finish a review somethimes.
I don’t know or follow a whole bunch of blogs, so I’m only going to select the few that I know.
- My friend Rachel’s blog: She’s a book blogger like me, and you can find some great recommendations from her for Sci-fi and fantasy reads as well as some crafty stuff. Check out her page: Idle Pursuits
- My friend Becky’s blog: She is a Disney addict, like me, and she has an amazing Disney blog where she talks about anything and everything Disney or Disney parks! Check out her blog here: Disney In Your Day
- My Friend Erin’s Blog: She blogs about her adventures and journey with her horse Kelso 🙂 Check out her blog here: Pink Stirrups
11 questions to answer
- What made you want to start a blog in the first place?
- What advice would you give to new bloggers?
- What has been the best thing about running your blog so far?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Favorite genre of music and favorite band?
- What is your favorite animal and why?
- Favorite movie, and why? (Give me your favorite animated AND live action! 😉
- If you could hang out with your favorite character for a day (book, movie, or tv) who would it be and why?
- Since I’m a book blogger, what is your favorite book, and what’s your favorite genre to read?
- Since I’m a Disney addict, what is your favorite Disney movie? Favorite attraction at a Disney Park?
- Favorite quote. It can be from a book, and inspiratioal quote, a movie, music, etc…
This was fun to do 🙂 Thanks for nominating me Sara!